Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Saying Goodbye to Another School Year


By Beth Hedrick


Only teachers can understand the bond they have with their students and how they feel at the end of the school year. There are many things that take place during the year, day in and day out, and during those events of every single day, bonds are formed. When the last day of school arrives, in order to ease the empty, and sometimes gut-wrenching feeling within me, I tell myself that I am not saying goodbye permanently. I tell myself that somewhere, I am in my student’s memories and will continue to be, just as they are in mine. I also tell myself that one day, perhaps even years from now, something will occur in their life that will give them a fleeting memory of me and what I taught them. I also help ease the separation by thinking about what I learned from them. When I become sad, I think about how their future is so bright; I mean, look at all of the things they taught me!  Thinking this way really helps ease the transition of that last day in my classroom to when they say goodbye at the last bell. And these life lessons are ones I will never forget!


That Goodness is in the Minds of the Young

I teach middle school students, and when I tell people this, especially those who aren’t in the education profession, they look at me like a deer in headlights. They look at me like, are you sane? Or, how are you smiling? But here’s the thing: middle school students are not that evil, I promise. I have taught the younger grades in the past, and the level of enjoyment, and challenges, is about the same, just in different ways. One thing is true: children of all ages need love, respect, and nurturing. Middle school students, at least I tell myself, are just bigger in size! They have such goodness in their hearts, even when they act out in a way that makes you wonder. I have learned from them that goodness lies within, no matter what, and that they are really sincere and sympathetic underneath all of the layers.


Oh, the Empathy

Some students need to be taught empathy, but I have come to believe (this is my opinion) that you really cannot make someone be empathetic. No matter how much you talk to someone about trying to understand how s/he would feel if s/he were the one having an issue, sometimes this someone can just look at you with that blank stare and shrug those shoulders. I get it. Some kids just don’t have this element of emotional intelligence. However, most of them do. And it is absolutely amazing how much kids will do for one another in order to lift each other up. It really is. They don’t judge; they don’t make excuses as to why they shouldn’t help, they just do it. And they feel good about it.

There are Countless Opinions and Beliefs
Oh, the minds of children! Yes, they have some serious opinions and beliefs, and yes, they make sense! They sometimes make much more sense than adults, I have found, as some of their views on issues are quite astounding. When I look back on my school year, I noticed that things that may not really matter to us, really matter to them. And vice-versa. Take, for instance, fairness. As adults, when we are treated unfairly, we may voice our opinion on it and get over it. Not middle school students. They are very, very passionate about fairness, and if they feel that something isn’t “fair” anywhere in the classroom or in the world, they will be passionate about their opinion. Which brings us to opinions, as middle school students have very strong opinions about many aspects of life. They truly amaze me at the way they see things in so many different perspectives. I think about those beliefs and opinions all the time, and they really have had an impact on me. Oh, the minds of preteens!

Their Resilience
My students taught me that there is always a silver lining. It is incredible how a student, who has the true definition of a “bad home life” has such resilience and positivity. A student who gets in a huge argument with their “best friend” one day can forgive and forget the next day. A student who I make so very mad because I am being “unfair” will hate me on Monday and love me Tuesday. In terms of positivity and being mentally tough, we adults can learn a lot from preteens!

I am so lucky. Not only do I spend a year teaching these students, but I also gain a vast amount of knowledge from them. Every time I think outside the box to solve a problem, I think of them and how they inspired me to do so. Every time there is an opinion in the news, I think of them and how important it is to look at all aspects of the situation before forming my own. When I am super stressed or feeling down and out, I think of them and do my very best to find a silver lining and rise above any situation. So, when they leave that final day, I don’t look at it as if I will never see them again, because I will. They will live on within me in the form of memories and different perspectives on life. After twenty-two years of teaching I know one thing: they have taught me more than I will ever know.

Beth Hedrick has been educating students for 22 years. She teaches in a rural southwest Virginia community that values the education of every student. She is the mother of two boys, Aaron and Landon, and is married to Todd.

She is an advocate for Autism Awareness, as her son Landon has Asperger’s Syndrome. She has served on her community and school system’s autism support team. Beth enjoys spending time with family, friends, and her Basset Hound, Lenny. She also likes to read, write, blog, and travel in the summer months. 

No comments:

Post a Comment